It’s been over a month since I last did this meme, so why not! (Hosted by Should Be Reading.)
To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…
• What are you currently reading?
• What did you recently finish reading?
• What do you think you’ll read next?
I am currently reading Republic of Wine by Mo Yan. I just started it last night so I can’t say much about it yet, but I’m excited! In December I thought I was going to marathon all of my Mo Yan novels, but I got distracted by new books as usual.
Last night I also finished reading Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I had an unfortunate introduction to Atwood in the form of The Handmaid’s Tale in my tenth grade English class, but after hearing so many readers praise her since I’ve decided to give her a second chance. Surprise, surprise, I really liked this novel! I plan to read the rest of the trilogy as well.
As for what I’ll read next, I have no idea. I have a big stack of TBR books and they all look good. I’m leaning towards one of my newly purchased books but we’ll see if I feel like continuing on with Mo Yan after Republic of Wine.
After working my way through the Percy Jackson & The Olympians series, I decided to reward myself with some new reads. Honestly, I don’t think I can go a month without getting new books, though I’m trying to hold off a little so I can catch up onall of the books I haven’t read yet. This is going to be a month of trying new things and hopefully liking them!
- Oryx and Crake is the first novel in a trilogy by Margaret Atwood, whose work I’ve been avoiding thanks to a minor high school reading trauma
- The Bone Season was published in the last couple of months by a brand new author. As with all YA novels, the reviews are mixed, but I decided to give it a try.
- Then there’s the Beautiful Creatures series, which also has very mixed reviews but it was recommended to me by a reader I respect so I’ve been excited to try it out. Hopefully I like it, since I couldn’t resist getting the whole set of for books!
- Last but not least I discovered The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms through Gabriella at Book Bound and was really, really intrigued. I’m always looking for a new fantasy series to start.
I’m super happy with this month’s haul because I’m giving YA books a try again (I tend to avoid them due to constant disappointment) and because all of these books are by female authors and I’m trying to make a conscious effort to discover and love more women writers.
Have you read any of these books/authors? Let me know what you thought of them!